In crust we trust…And in the Ooni outdoor oven
Almost every Sunday I’m taking my little ones to the farmers’ market. It’s not much for the fresh veggies, occasional live music or for hoping to run again into my celebrity neighbours (see you on Sunday, Thandie!;) but for best pizza served here in this tiny corner of London, made by two true Napolitano guys and their tiny fire oven on wheels.
Because I do love my pizza. Occasionally I enjoy making my own in the kitchen oven, but until now I didn’t realise playing with dough and fire can be easily achievable in my very own garden. While making all of us spend more time in the outdoors and less on the sofa waiting for the alarm sound of the kitchen oven! I must add that my neighbours were a tad jealous in the beginning – but don’t worry, they already tried my pizza and some are making their own arrangements for getting their own pizza maker 😉
After careful research and weighing up what was truly important for me (especially in terms of #sustainability), I decided to go for the Ooni Pro Pizza Oven because it had those key features which ticked my boxes and keep me happy in most cooking/baking circumstances:
- HOT – this oven gets to the required temperature and is ready to cook in 20 minutes counting from lighting it up
- FLEXIBLE – I like choices and so I enjoy the flexibility of fuels I can use with it; this is a portable oven so no matter where I take it in our city escapes, I can fire it up with wood, charcoal, wood pellets or gas (2 extensions bought separately for gas or pellets). By default it comes ready for firing it up with wood/charcoal which is my usual choice of fuel anyways as it gives the pizza that special taste.
- VERSATILE – I can cook smaller or larger (up-to 16-inch) pizzas & a range of our family’s favourite dishes or bake bread – I’m a bread maker enthusiast 🙂
- Dimensions: 29.13 x 19.29 x 31.1″ (740 x 490 x 790mm)
- Unboxed weight: 48.5lbs (22kg)
- Cooking surface: 17.7 x 17.7″ (450 x 450mm)
- Brushed stainless steel with ceramic fiber insulation
- 15mm cordierite stone baking board
- Ooni Pro Gas Burner is compatible with large propane tanks (normally used with barbecues), as well as 1lb propane tanks along with a suitable adaptor. Maximum power: 7kWh (20472 BTU)
Being able to prepare dishes I enjoy outside our kitchen is rather cool. It encourages the kids to spend more time running around in the garden, help us prep fresh ingredients and eventually making the kind of great memories I want them to have when it comes to spending time with their dad.